Sunday, June 21, 2009

Weekend Blogitorial: Accidental Father

I know the headline may put one thought in your mind about fatherhood. I borrowed the term from the 1988 movie called, The Accidental Tourist. At risk of being misunderstood, I can't help but to think of my dad, when I think of something that happened that was totally unintentional.

My dad was a great dad. He could do a seminar for young fathers if he were an intentional father. He never, to my knowledge, read a book, watched an instructional video, nor went to better father support groups. Don't invite him to teach your young fathers. I am not sure it will be all that compelling.

Some of us live our lives looking for seminar material. My dad lived his life doing what he was supposed to do. When it came to being a father, he was just good at it.

Of the things I admire most about my dad, the fact that he was just plain good at stuff without trying, was the most. He was the best man in my wedding. That was not accidental either. I wrote in his 2009 Father's Day card: To The Best Man I Ever Met.

Dino Sr. turned 77, Friday. My sister and I had breakfast with him at IHOP. I had coffee with him at 7:00 a.m. this morning before heading off to Louisville. Time with him now is like gold. Time with him is now intentional.

I have met many people over the years that grew up without good fathers, or without fathers at all. When my dad was 5 years old, his dad died (In Italy - Coal Miner's Asthma). Certain things in life are beyond my comprehension. I guess what I am saying is, Why Me? Why was I born the son of Dino Senesi, Sr.? Why did I have coffee with my dad this morning?

Maybe it would be better to say, I was the Accidental Son. Not because there was no human planning involved, there was. Only because I was so blessed and had nothing to do with it. I did not plan or deserve to be born to either of my parents. It just happened.

I think this is the time I am supposed to thank God for His amazing grace!

1 comment:

Sid said...

Cool thoughts Dino....I am honored to know your dad & yeah you are right...nothing fancy , just did what he was supposed to do !