Sunday, July 29, 2007

Learning by Looking Around

Enjoyed my experience with Briarlake Baptist Church this morning. Love the two service concept. God is using Cornerstone and Backlot to reach different people for Christ.

Pastor Tommy Ferrell is in a community and church that he was born for -- talk to Tommy, God has wired he and Elyse to relate to people in a way I seldom see (and do).

Briarlake is in a diverse community. Near Emory University, over 500,000 people live within a 7 mile radius of his church. Many successful professionals from all over the world live there. I encouraged Tommy to write -- he could do it. God is changing the lives of the up and ups through Briarlake. I first met Tommy in the early 90's in New Orleans. Both he and Elyse were comfortable with all kinds of people even in those days.

One learning for me as I encouraged Tommy (I really am an out loud processor) -- Most of us are intimidated by witnessing to doctors, lawyers, educators, the rich and famous. We are not intimidated by witnessing to the poor and urban. Ever wonder why? I don't think the answer is pretty -- because we feel superior to the poor and urban. Why do we witness so boldly in international venues? Same reason I fear. God convicted me. Feeling superior is not the proper motivation to invest in other people. I have a couple of other observations that I will process with you in the days to come.

The heart of Jesus gives us a heart to run after . . . the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many (Matt. 20:28).

No comments: