Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tiger is a Hacker

I did not realize I had Tiger Woods on such a pedestal until he disappointed me. As a golfer I am quite a hacker (if you have ever spent nine with me, you know I am not overstating here). But I always admired golfers. I would drop almost anything, even a grandson, to watch Tiger play on T.V. His story was (is) so compelling. His dad, his unprecedented success, etc. He played with the greatest golfers in the world for years. No one has come close to matching his overall performance.

I don't know the history of the term hacker. I think it came from the sound effects of my golf game. If you play with real golfers or notice golf on T.V. you know it sounds different when they play. A sweet, whistling movement of wind, followed by a solid click happened when Tiger swung. When I swing it sounds and looks like I am clearing brush from a vacant lot with an axe.

The term hacker has never been used to describe Tiger. Yet today when it comes to playing life he is hacking his way down the fairway. Yep, Tiger is a hacker. But Tiger is not alone. The Bible is filled with stories of hackers. King David was a hacker. Wise King Solomon was a hacker. The woman at the well was a hacker. Wow, Tiger fits right in -- In fact if you find a church today that is really alive you will find a bunch of hackers who discovered Jesus Christ in the middle of their back swings.

Every time I read another confession from a woman in Tiger's past I feel ashamed and sad for him. I am sure they represent many more. The late Wilt Chamberlin, an NBA legend, claimed to have slept with 20,000 women. Probably a bit overstated by Wilt. He did seem more proud than ashamed.

I wonder how Tiger feels right now? I am sure he feels stupid for getting caught. There is a place of love and forgiveness for him (you too) if he wants it. I don't think the place is with Elin or most golfers on the PGA (except John Daily). The media has too much fun with this one to let it go. Tiger has no place to run to but a cross. A place for hackers.

1 comment:

Craig Adams said...

Excellent Points - good Blog!