Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Performance Enhancers

I had good times and bad times last Saturday in the Governor's Cup. I had great advice from my lifelong friend Sid (link coming). I read books and websites.

One tip that helped me was to greet people who were along the route. I particularly focused on the kids. How fun! They were surprised. More serious runners did not waste their energy treating a 13.1 mile uphill race like a political campaign. I did. Guess what? It helped me. I greeted people. I waved at everybody (picture coming).

I am proud of my accomplishments. You probably could tell. But this is all work for me. I was never a track or cross country person back in the day. There were reasons: I am not that good at it and uh, it takes discipline. So, I look for advice, tips, honest ways to cheat the system, advantages, legal performance enhancers. You know what I mean.

Well, waving back at people, greeting them, being nice to them . . . was an incredible performance enhancer. My mind focused on others instead of the enormous hills and overwhelming distance. My focus was upon those who were so focused on me. Kind of a win -- win! When they cheered, I waved and said, "Thank you!" It felt great. Great tip. I am going to try it more today.

No comments: