Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Race Revisted

I set a personal record and beat frogman, so why was I disappointed? I ran in the Resurrection 5K Easter weekend with my favorite son-in-law, David. A little hard to talk about, but I learned a few things.

1) Plan your preparation. I worked out hard the evening before the race. Not too smart. Race day is only part of a total process of fitness. What is carefully planned and executed before and after the race helps you win. Are you only about game day? If you are, you probably aren't too good.

2) Don't let the jack rabbits pace you. I knew I could not beat the fastest runners. I thought I could let them, however, help me increase my overall pace. I was wrong. I was in trouble the first mile of the race. Who are you trying to keep up with? Why?

3) Don't be afraid to stop a minute. The hard part is that I had to stop, for the first time ever. I am not sure how long I stopped, but I was devastated that I did. Was my bar not to stop, or to finish well? Finishing well may be tied into knowing when to stop. Is there something you need to stop? Do you just need to stop, period, for a few minutes? Catch your breath and regain your focus. I did finish, btw. More race news tomorrow.

No comments: